Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Caramel Apple Crisp

To celebrate today's perfect Fallish weather I made my man's favorite dessert. I don't make it nearly enough, mostly because it's a pain to peel & chop all the apples. 
Some day I'll buy myself this handy apple tool. I have borrowed it from my neighbor before and it is amazing and works way better than other brands.
It's probably about the only kitchen tool I don't own. 
I have a problem. 
There are worse problems. 

Caramel Apple Crisp

Ingredients-

Apple filling:
12 lg granny smith apples peeled, cored and sliced
juice from 2 lemons 
1 c sugar
1 c flour
2 t cinnamon
Oat crumble:
2 c flour
2 c whole oats
2 c brown sugar
1/2 c sugar
2 t cinnamon
1 1/2 c butter, softened

1 bag Kraft caramel bits
*1/2 c chopped walnuts
Directions-
Peel, core and slice apples and toss with lemon juice.
Stir apples together with sugar, flour & cinnamon; set aside.
Combine the flour, oats, br sugar, sugar & cinnamon.
Cut butter into mixture until crumbly.
Press half of the crumb mixture into the bottom of a 15x10x2 inch buttered baking dish.
Add the apples.
Sprinkle caramel bits over apples & then remaining crumb mixture on top.
Bake at 350ยบ for 45 to 50 minutes or until apples are tender and caramel sauce begins to bubble. 

Try to wait until it cools before eating.
Top it off with vanilla ice cream...because you've been good.
*Chopped walnuts may be added to the top crumble if you wish.

No comments: