Monday, March 5, 2012

Bread, that this house may never know hunger

First let me apologize for my absence. 
I was doing so well with this blog thing and then February happened & life happened.
Do you forgive me? 
Ok, glad we got that over with...on to the recipe & the story of the blog title.
Once upon a time there was this wonderful place called Pinterest.
In the land of Pinterest even dorks like me can feel like Martha Stewart.
I found this & pinned it here for a future housewarming gift opportunity.
I love it because it references one of my all time favorite movies. (ff to 1:05 for the housewarming scene)
The afore mentioned opportunity presented itself last weekend when one of my son's friend's family moved to a farm outside our tiny town. 
This family had been driving their 4 children to school, practice & games for the last 7 months from a town 10 miles down the road.
That may not sound like a long commute to you big city folk but since I did the very same thing 20 years ago before finding a home in our corner of the world I felt this family deserved a proper welcome.
Long story short, I baked a few things, bought some flowers, printed the tags & threw it all in a basket.
I only have photos of the bread so I'll share that recipe with you.
And it's a good one, no yeast! 
Have we talked about how I'm way to disorganized to bake with yeast?
No? well another day, another blog post.
And stick around, at the end of today's post you will see a photo of the "famous" housewarming basket!! 


Rosemary-Olive Oil Bread
Yield: 1 loaf
adapted from realsimple.com/food

Ingredients:
2 1/2 call-purpose flour
3/4 csugar
1/2 cchopped walnuts
2 tbaking powder
2 Tfresh rosemary - chopped
1/4 tsalt
1 Tgrated lemon zest
2eggs - lightly beaten
3/4 csweet white wine or apple juice
1/2 c
extra-virgin olive oil

Directions:
Heat oven to 350° F. 
In a bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, walnuts, baking powder, rosemary, salt, and lemon zest.
In another bowl, blend the eggs, wine, and olive oil; stir into the dry ingredients.
Transfer the batter into pan and smooth surface. Bake 55 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Nutritional Information:
Calories 420; Fat 20g; Sat Fat 3g; Cholesterol 47mg; Sodium 214mg; Protein 7g; Carbohydrate 51g; Sugar 19g; Fiber 2g; Iron 3mg; Calcium 93mg



Now it just so happens the recipient of the housewarming gift is the real deal in blogger world and has about a bazillion followers.
She also happens to be a great photographer (I think she even uses a camera instead of her phone). 
So go here to see her photo of the basket.
And remember; "No (wo)man is a failure who has friends".


No comments: