Thursday, January 5, 2012

Nutty for Nutella

I've been known as nutty for quite a few reasons but none so delicious as Nutella.
For the 1% of you that have not sampled Nutella it is a gooey combo of chocolate & hazelnuts...what's not to love?
Coincidently the title of this blog post is the same for this pin board. And if you aren't aware of pinterest I just have one word for you. 
Criminitly! 
Fun word, feel free to use it.
Pinterest is the biggest, bestest waste of time I know of. It is a cyber bulletin board where you can "pin" ideas, recipes, books you want to read, places you want to go...endless items.
My friend Roni & her daughter pin wedding ideas for the upcoming big event.
98% of my pins involve food, shocking I know!
Currently I have 51 nutella pins. I hope to try most of them before the world nutella day on February 5th. I provided a link, just in case you didn't believe there is actually a nutella day.
There is also a link on nutelladay.com with 700 nutella recipes. I have a feeling my nutella pin board will soon grow!
There is also a facebook page. 
And if you don't have facebook I'm afraid there is no hope for you!
The first nutella recipe I tried from pinterst is actually one that I have flubbed twice now. Nutella Fudge, like any fudge is both easy & tricky to make. My trouble has been heating it at too high of a temperature so that the chocolate & oil separate. Not to fret, if you keep the water in your double boiler at a low simmer & not touching the top bowl you're golden.


Nutella Fudge


Ingredients:

1 T Butter - For Greasing Pan
1 can (14 Oz) Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 t Vanilla Extract
8 oz High-quality Bittersweet (60%) Chocolate
1 c Nutella
3 T Unsalted Butter, Room Temperature - Cut Into 1/2-inch Pieces
½ t Sea Salt





Directions:
Grease the bottom and sides of an 8- by 8-inch baking pan with butter.
Line the pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overlap on the sides.
In a medium glass or stainless steel bowl, stir together sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, bittersweet chocolate chips, Nutella, and butter.
Form a double-boiler by setting the bowl over a medium pot of gently simmering water.
Stir until the chocolate chips are melted and the mixture is smooth, 5 to 7 minutes.
Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan, spread the top smooth with a spatula, and sprinkle with sea salt or hazelnuts.
Refrigerate until the fudge is firm, at least 2 hours.
Once the fudge is chilled, run a knife under hot water, dry it off, and run it around the edges of the pan to loosen the fudge.
Using the overhanging parchment paper, lift the fudge out. Peel off the parchment paper.
Cut the fudge into 3/4-inch squares.
Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container or wrapped well in plastic wrap and foil.



I gave the sea salt a chance but I do prefer my fudge nutty.

No comments: