Thursday, January 12, 2012

Marcona Almond

After reading about this almond on one of my favorite blogs I made it my mission to find said almond.
I hate to report the Nifty Nut House disappointed me by not stocking the Marcona but I picked up the last bag of Kate's (latest) favorite candy while there so all is forgiven.
While in KC recently I visited Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, & Dean & Deluca. All fun places if you love food. My all time favorite food emporium has to be Central Market, nearest location: Texas. Sad face.
Sorry, I digress.
While perusing the isles of D&D I finally found the elusive Marcona almond! I reluctantly parted with a Jackson for 2lbs, hoping they were worth the effort.
The official Marcona web site describes the nut as the Queen of Almonds; sweeter, fatter and rounder than the typical almond.
Now I don't know about sweeter but fatter & rounder are terms I'm familiar with. And so are my jeans so I opted to try the nut in a "healthy" cookie instead of candy recipe.


Toffee Almond Sandies
Yield: 9 dozen cookies
adapted from Lea & Jay
Ingredients:
3½ c  all-purpose flour
1 c whole wheat flour
1 t baking soda
1 t cream of tartar
1 c unsalted butter, softened
1 c sugar
1 c pwd sugar
1 c vegetable oil
2 lg eggs
1 t almond extract
2 c chopped Marcona almonds
6 oz toffee bits
Additional sugar
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350º.
Combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda and cream of tartar in a medium bowl; set aside.
Cream butter, sugar and pwd sugar until well combined, about 1-2 minutes.
Add oil, eggs and almond extract; mix well.
Add dry ingredients and mix slowly to combine.
Stir in almonds and toffee bits.
Shape dough into 1-inch balls, roll in sugar, then place about 2" apart on lined baking sheets and flatten with a fork.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
Let cookies cool on baking sheets for a few minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Store in airtight container.


Nutritional facts (daily value): Calories 7640kcal; Protein 117g (233%); Total Fat 521g (801%)(Sat. 144g (720%)); Chol. 911mg (304%); Carb. 663g (221%); Fiber 49g (196%); Sugars 213g; Calcium 689mg (69%); Iron 35mg (195%)

No comments: