Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Empty Cookie Jar


Is there anything more pitiful than an empty cookie jar?
My excuses are as follows:
1. We were out of town for Christmas so why have cookies just laying around to tempt Pepper?
2. Kate was here for a week, she's 2-enough said.
video
3. I'm old.

Luckily I had more ideas for holiday baking than I had time for.
Does this ever happen to you?
So what do I do? I bake cookies that don't ideally fit in a cookie jar! But don't they look nice in this OXO
Especially since, as everyone knows, that stands for hugs & kisses. Anyhoo, on to the recipe!

Chocolate Peppermint Blossoms 
(adapted from a bhg recipe that I could not locate)
Ingredients:
1/2 c  butter - softened
1/2 c  shortening
1 c      sugar
3/4 c  unsweetened cocoa powder - I used the dark stuff
2 t      baking powder
1         egg
2 T     milk
1 t      pure peppermint extract
1 1/2 c  flour
Hershey's candy cane kisses
additional sugar
Directions:
Preheat Oven to 350º.
Cream the butter and shortening.
Add sugar, cocoa powder and baking powder.
Beat in egg, milk, and peppermint extract.
Mix in flour.
Cover dough and chill for 1 hour or until firm.
Form 1 inch balls, roll in sugar and bake for 10 - 12 min.
Place candy in center of the cookie as soon as you take out of oven.
Transfer to a cooling rack and place in the refrigerator until set. 





No comments: