Monday, March 7, 2011

Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup


Spring may be on it's way but I was craving some yummy soup.
I found this recipe awhile back during my multiple hours of blog surfing at Back to the Cutting Board.
I enjoy visiting her blog even tho it makes me feel quite inadequate. I wish I was a web designer but I was born in the 60's.
Emily has two different colored eyes, just like my girl and we both heart tumeric.
But I'm really not a stalker!
And her photo is better than mine.
Someday I may need to learn how to blog like the pros.
But until then I will cook/bake & share with you.

Yield: 6 servings
Ingredients: .
16 oz cherry/grape tomatoes or 1 can of diced tomatoes, with chilies if you like things spicier (I use both)
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 green pepper, diced
3 t olive oil
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 onion
2 garlic cloves - minced
1 T chili powder
1/2 t paprika
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4 t onion powder
1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 t dried oregano
1 1/2 t ground cumin
1/2 t tumeric
1 t salt
1 t pepper
4 c low sodium chicken broth
1 c water - (plus more if needed)
12 oz. frozen corn
1 can black beans - rinsed and drained
3/4 c fresh cilantro - divided
1 c shredded Mexican cheese blend
tortilla chips
avocado
1 lime - cut into wedges
Directions:
Add tomatoes, carrots and green pepper to a food processor and pulse until blended, but still chunky. Set aside.
Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add in the cubed chicken and cook until it's completely cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
Remove from pan and shred chicken. Set aside.
Heat another tsp. of oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook about 5-8 minutes.
Add chicken and all the spices and cook over medium heat for one minute.
Add in the tomato mixture, chicken broth, water, corn and beans and 1/2 cup cilantro. Simmer, partly covered for 30-60 minutes.
Ladle soup into a bowl and top with a handful of tortillas and a couple of tablespoons of cheese & avocado. Sprinkle with the remaining cilantro. Squeeze a wedge of lime over it just before eating.

2 comments:

Roni said...

That is a beautiful looking bowl of soup! Thanks for sharing the recipe- how about your pb cc cookie recipe too!

Emily said...

Aww, thanks Beth! Your photo look great and I'm glad you liked the soup. I'm making a pot of this right now. It's still my favorite soup!