Monday, September 27, 2010

Potato Corn Chowder


I'm back from a long blogging break with one of my favorite hearty soups, perfect for a cool Fall evening meal.
The little boys don't like it much, too many vegetables.
But I cook what I like and there's always peanut butter & jelly for the vegetable haters!

Ingredients:
1/2 c butter
1 c chopped celery
1 c chopped onion
2 lg cloves garlic, chopped
salt & pepper
1 c chopped carrots
4 c chopped potatoes (I use unpeeled small red potatoes)
4 c chicken broth
1 t rosemary
1 t thyme
1 c corn
4 c milk
cornstarch, optional
2 c shredded cheese (I use American or cheddar)
1 lb ground sausage, browned
Directions:
Melt butter in large stock pot, add celery, onion, garlic and salt & pepper to taste.
Saute for 2 minutes.
Add carrots, potatoes, chicken broth and enough water to cover vegetables, if necessary. Add spices.
Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add corn during the last few minutes of simmering.
If you like your chowder thick mix some cornstarch into the milk and add to cooked vegetables.
Or you could smash the potatoes but I like my chowder (and peanut butter) chunky.
Stir over medium low heat until thickened.
Remove from heat.
Add cheese & sausage, stirring until cheese is melted.
Serve hot with biscuits.
*Ham may be substituted for sausage.

No comments: