Saturday, July 17, 2010

Zucchini Cake (disguised as bread)


This is the recipe I pull out each summer when the zucchini is plentiful.
I have no zucchini this year 'cause I managed to kill both plants in my garden.
The local garden shop was all out of zucchini plants but gave me seeds and the resident "expert" said I could expect to see some zucs in October.
That's not going to work for me.
Since I can't really shop at another garden center (they might expect me to pay!) I settled for the Walmart variety this time.
I am planning a trip to the farmer's market next week.
Maybe someone will trade zucchini for grape tomatoes.
I have a bushel of those, I don't suck at growing everything!

Zucchini Bread
Ingredients:
3 c flour
2 t baking soda
1 t salt
1/2 t baking powder
1 t cinnamon
3/4 c chopped pecans
3 eggs
2 c sugar
1 c oil
2 t vanilla
1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple, well drained
2 c shredded zucchini
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Grease & flour 2 8x4" loaf pans.
Combine dry ingredients and pecans; set aside.
Beat eggs lightly; add sugar, oil & vanilla. Beat until creamy.
Stir in pineapple & zucchini.
Add dry ingredients, stirring only until dry ingredients are moistened.
Divide batter into loaf pans.
Bake at 350º for 1 hour or until top tests done.
Cool 10 minutes in pans; turn out onto cooling rack & allow to cool completely.

Note: Sprinkle with course white decorator sugar (big sugar) before baking to add a sweeter, crispier top crust.

1 comment:

Deborah Raney said...

Usually the joke is people breaking into cars at church to LEAVE zucchini. But there seems to be a zucchini shortage this year. It's really desperate when you have to BUY it at WalMart! ; ) I just got some from my daughter's garden in Missouri. I can't wait to try this recipe! Looks great!