Wednesday, April 28, 2010

One more picnic with Kate


For the last 2 weeks my son was able to have lunch with me & his daughter.
We would often eat outside 'cause Kate loves the outdoors!
But now my son & wife are moving away and think they need to take their daughter with them.
I have been keeping her during the day since she was 2 months old.
I think I might miss her :(
So I made this tasty salad for our last picnic lunch.
and on a positive note I may be able to blog more than once a month!

Asian Chicken Salad

Yield: 6 servings
Preparation time: 20 Minutes

Ingredients:
3 T hoisin sauce
2 T peanut butter
2 t brown sugar
3/4 t hot chile paste
1 t grated fresh ginger
3 T rice wine vinegar
1 T sesame oil
1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
16 (3.5") wonton wrappers - shredded
4 c romaine lettuce - torn, washed and dried
2 c red or chinese cabbage - shredded
2 c shredded carrots
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 c cucumber - sliced
1 c fresh pea pods
1 c fresh bean sprouts - rinsed
1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 c peanuts, chopped

Directions:
To prepare the dressing, whisk together the hoisin sauce, peanut butter, brown sugar, chili paste, ginger, vinegar and sesame oil. (this dressing is mighty tasty, you may want to double it)
Grill or broil chicken until cooked, cool and slice.
Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a large shallow pan with nonstick vegetable spray, arrange shredded wontons in a single layer.
Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.

I fried them in a deep fat fryer 'cause I'm pro fat.
In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Toss with dressing & baked wonton strips and serve.
I also made little won ton "bowls" for a side salad option.

And then I thought, how can I make something sweet?

and an after school snack 'cause my boys like sweets too.

and you thought wonton wraps were just for wontons!

Nutritional facts per serving (daily value): Calories 197kcal; Protein 22g (45%); Total Fat 6g (10%)(Sat. 1g (6%)); Chol. 43mg (14%); Carb. 14g (5%); Fiber 4g (16%); Sugars 7g; Calcium 60mg (6%); Iron 2mg (10%)

1 comment:

Mama Holli said...

Oh my goodness!!! I could just eat her up! She is precious! You are blessed!