Monday, January 11, 2010
Yield: about 30 balls
Source: Shelby & Tammy
1 (18.25 ounce) boxed cake mix
1 (16 ounce) can prepared frosting
Almond Bark Coating or Confectionery Wafer Coating
Prepare and bake the cake mix according to package instructions.
While warm, crumble the cake into a bowl with a electric mixer to a fine texture.
Mix in frosting to make a paste, using a 3/4 to a full can of frosting, according to taste.
Chill the mixture for at least 2 hours.
Form the mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls.
Place the balls on wax paper; freeze at least 6 hours.
Working in small batches, remove the balls from the freezer;
dip the balls into warm, melted almond bark coating.
Remove the balls, place on wax paper to harden.
Makes about 30 balls.
Almond Bark Coating:
Melt one (20 ounce) package vanilla or chocolate flavored almond bark in double boiler or microwave,
stirring often, until melted; be careful not to scorch.
Stir 1 teaspoon vegetable oil into melted almond bark.
If desired, stir in oil based coloring.
Ideas for flavors and combinations:
* White cake mix + mint chocolate chip icing/Dipped in chocolate confectioners coating
* French vanilla cake + white chocolate almond icing/Dipped in chocolate confectioners coating
* Red velvet + cream cheese icing/Dipped in vanilla confectioners coating
* Red velvet + cream cheese icing/Dipped in milk chocolate coating
* Chocolate cake + milk chocolate icing/Dipped in chocolate bark
* Lemon cake + lemon frosting/Dipped in white chocolate
* Lemon cake + white chocolate chips + lemon frosting/Dipped in white chocolate
* Spice cake + cream cheese frosting/Dipped in white chocolate coating
* Cherry chip cake + cream cheese frosting/Dipped in white chocolate
* Fudge cake + peppermint chips + fudge frosting/Dipped in dark chocolate
* Chocolate fudge cake + coconut pecan frosting/Dipped in chocolate
* Chocolate cake + butter cream icing/Dipped in dark chocolate coating
* Chocolate cake + chocolate icing/Dipped into raspberry/chocolate chips, melted with a bit of oil
* German chocolate cake + coconut pecan frosting/Dipped in melted semi sweet chocolate chips
* Strawberry cake + vanilla frosting/Dipped in chocolate
* Carrot cake + cream cheese frosting/Dipped in white almond bark
* Chocolate cake + chocolate icing + Andes candy bits/Dipped in chocolate